Meet the Women of Greater New Mt. Moriah at Granite City in Troy, Michigan! Proceeds from your bill 1st Sunday of each month: Holy Communion 4th Sunday of each month: Baptism/Right Hand of Fellowship 5th Sunday of each month: Mission Sunday 3rd Sunday of October: Women’s Day

Our History

On Tuesday, May 5, 1925, a small group of Christians met in the home of Philip and Alice Foston at 1156 Alger Street, Detroit, Michigan to formulate plans to organize a church. This group was sent to Macon, Georgia to secure the services of Reverend Louis Coates, whom they knew and loved. The first place of worship was at 9101 Cardoni Street, and the firsts service was held on Sunday, May 10, 1925. It was at a call meeting on Sunday, May 7, 1925 that the New Mt. Moriah Church was officially organized. Under Reverend Coates’ leadership, the Sunday School, the Missionary Society, and the Senior Choir were organized. The membership grew during Reverend Coates’ one year of leadership.

In 1926, Reverend C.H. Harris was called as Pastor. Under his leadership, the Baptist Training Union, the Usher Board, and the Mother’s Board were organized. The membership grew to the extent that a larger facility was acquired at 1428 Holbrook Street. The membership soon outgrew that facility and moved to 1169 Hague Street. Reverend Harris served for two years.

In 1928, Reverend J.S Scott was called as Pastor. During Reverend Scott’s leadership, the membership grew and an annex had to be added to the church. He served for four years.

On December 31, 1932, a call was extended to Reverend J.S. Murray. He accepted the position of Pastor on Sunday, January 8, 1933. The church took on new life and on May 4, 1941, the property at 586 Owen Street, Detroit, Michigan was purchased at a cost of 18,000. Trustee R.T. Wilson submitted the original ideas and plans to purchase the property. Deacon James Coleman was the pillar that spearheaded the financial plans and the mortgage was burned in eighteen months. At that time, the prefix “Greater” was added to New Mt. Moriah. In 1942, the first Bible Class was organized and taught by Reverend William T. Newbern. Under Reverend Murray’s leadership, the Male Chorus and the Junior Ushers were organized. An additional forty feet of space was added to the building, and it was used to elevate the choir loft. Reverend Murray served for nineteen years.

On March 26, 1952, the membership was shaken to the extent that another church went out from Greater New Mt. Moriah, led by Reverend Murray and was given the name New Mt. Moriah. Deacon Abraham Thomas, Chairman of the Deacon Board, and Trustee Phillip White, Chairman of the Trustee Board, did a tremendous job of holding the membership together. Greater New Mt. Moriah had to worship at the R. T. Wilson Funeral Home, Alger School, and Christ Staff Baptist Church, during the year that it was closed. On March 26, 1953, the Greater New Mt. Moriah members returned to their church home at 586 Owen Street.

On October 31, 1953, Reverend L.W Craig was called as Pastor. Under his leadership, many improvements were made. To name a few; the choir loft was rebuilt, the sanctuary was redecorated, new pews were installed, and the floors were tiled. Also, two adjoining properties were purchased. The membership at that time was 1,175. After ten years and two months, Reverend Craig resigned, leaving the church with $90,000.00 in the treasury.

On June 6, 1964, Reverend Benjamin L. Hooks was called as Pastor. When Reverend Hooks arrived, a $50,000.00 building project was in progress. The 1965 Building Committee was led by Trustee Louis H. Spencer, Chairman, Alberta Blackburn, General Coordinator, and Secretary, Inez. E. Strong. Reverend Hooks began a fundraising drive, through special projects, pledges, and tithing programs, supported by the official board. This made it possible to burn the mortgage in three years instead of ten years.

Reverend Hooks retired in 1994 after 30 years of service. During his tenure, Reverend Robert J. Page served as Co-Pastor from January 1973 to 1994 and as Interim Pastor from 1994 to April 1995.

In April 1995, Reverend Kenneth James Flowers was called to Pastor Greater New Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church. Under Reverend Flowers’ leadership, there has been many “firsts” including: Annual Church Retreats, Evangelism Ministry, Computer Training Classes, Mount Moriah Community Development Corporation, and he licensed and ordained female ministers. Reverend Betty E. Pulliam was the first woman that Reverend Flowers licensed to preach on July 9, 1997.

In 1996, Reverend Flowers appointed Reverend Glenn L. Jones of Los Angeles, California as “Assistant to the Pastor.” He held this position from 1996-2000. In 2001, Reverend Flowers appointed Reverend Sandra Kay Gordon as “Assistant to the Pastor.” She became the first woman to hold this position.

In October 2002, members of the Senior Choir, Inspirational Choir, and the Voices of Moriah Choir merged to form the Senior Inspirational Voices, and Youth & Young Adult Choir was also formed. Additionally, the Liturgical Dance Ministry was formed. The name was later changed to Joyful Praise Dance and Mime Ministry, under the direction of Kierra Flowers. On January 1, 2004, Robert L. Nix, our musician/director of 40 years, was appointed Reverend Flowers as our first Minister of Music.

The highlight of our 80th Church Anniversary Celebration was our ground breaking ceremony for the new Banquet and Conference Center, on May 22, 2005. Additionally, we celebrated out first Men’s and Women’s Day Unified Service on Sunday,October 21, 2005. On Saturday, December 3, 2005, at the Annual Church Meeting, Linda Compton, Audrey Mahaffey, and Druel Outley were appointed as the first female Deacons-In-Training. They were ordained as Deacons on October 7,2007.

In April 2008, under the leadership of Reverend Flowers, Children’s Church was re-instated  and 125 young people attended the service. Under his leadership, Greater New Mt. Moriah Missionary Baptist Church continues to be a beacon in the North End Community.